Formally The King’s College of Our Lady and Saint Nicholas in Cambridge, the college lies beside the River Cam and faces out onto King’s Parade in the centre of the city.
King’s was founded in 1441 by Henry VI, soon after he had founded its sister college in Eton. However, the King’s plans for the college were disrupted by the Wars of the Roses and resultant scarcity of funds, and his eventual deposition.
Little progress was made on the project until in 1508 Henry VII began to take an interest in the college, most likely as a political move to legitimise his new position. The building of the college’s chapel, begun in 1446, was finally finished in 1544 during the reign of Henry VIII.